I just authored an iBook textbook focusing on iBooks Accessibility. I’ve tried my best to make the iBook an exemplar of the principles I discuss. The videos are closed captioned, the images have descriptions, I added a glossary, you get the idea. I did have a major problem with the videos that I need to figure out. I had a few more videos I wanted to include but when I ran them through Compressor the file size exploded from 20-30 MB a video (pretty reasonable for 3-4 minute videos) to 400-500 MB (not so reasonable). All I did was take a file from Screenflow in MP4 format (I used the iPad export preset) and run it through Compressor to add a caption track (.SCC) and reexport as a .m4v file that iBooks Author could accept.
I need to figure out the video problem, but in the mean time I added the same content with a few screenshots. I welcome any feedback. I know there is a lot of room for improvement, but it’s not too bad for something I threw together on a Saturday morning/afternoon while procrastinating from my dissertation.
Update: Dropbox suspended my Public account due to the high volume of data. I have created a PDF version available on Scribd for now. As soon as I figure out a good place to host the iBook itself I will post that link here.